This is my port of the Mini vMac emulator to the iPhone and iPod Touch, for iPhone OS 2.2 to 5.x.
Here is a video of it, showing some features of an early version:
- 4MB Mac Plus
- Full screen (scaled down) or scrolling (full size)
- Full simulated keyboard (including all Mac keys)
- Jailbroken iPhone or iPod Touch
- iPhone OS 2.2 to 5.x
- Disk images with Mac software
To install Mini vMac, add the namedfork.net repository to Cydia (in More Sources), and it will show up in the emulation section. Alternatively, you can add the repository manually by using this address:
The ROM file must be named
vMac.ROM and placed in
Disk images should have
.dsk extensions, and be located in
/var/mobile/Library/MacOSClassic for them to show up in the disk chooser.
To insert disk images, swipe left with two fingers and the list of disks will appear. Icons are automatically generated based on the contents of the disk.
To delete a disk image, swipe left on it and the delete button will show if disk image deletion is enabled (in Settings).
To create a new disk image, press the
+ button in the disk image chooser. Write a name and use the slider to choose a size between 400KiB and 125MiB
Swipe up with two fingers to show the keyboard, and down to hide it.
The emulated keyboard features all the keys on the Mac Plus keyboard, except the keypad. The Command, Option and Shift keys are sticky, to make keyboard shortcuts easier to do. You can change the keyboard layout and opacity in the settings view.
You can choose to use the screen as a touchscreen, where tapping anything sends a mouse click, or as a trackpad. In trackpad mode, dragging is done by tapping twice fast and holding it down.
You can toggle between full screen (the Mac screen is scaled down to fit the iPhone) or full size (the Mac screen is shown at its real size) by tapping the screen with two fingers. In full size mode, you can scroll by tapping the edges.
Swipe right with two fingers to show the settings dialog, where you can change the following:
- Mouse: switch between touchscreen and trackpad mode
- Sound: enable/disable different sounds from the emulator
- Disk Images: enable/disable disk image deletion, and automatic icon creation
- Keyboard: change the keyboard layout and opacity
On the bottom of the settings view, you can find the Interrupt and Reset buttons.
If you press the home button while the emulated Mac has disks inserted, Mini vMac will pause but stay open, and show this by displaying the Mac's screen in its icon. To quit Mini vMac properly, eject all disks before pressing home. Note that when Mini vMac is suspended, it still uses memory and could be forced to quit if the memory is low.
- Fixed crash on iOS 4.3.x
- Removed SBCustomIcon dependency for iOS 4 compatibility
- Minor interface changes
- iPhone OS 3.0 compatibility
- Handles checksums in Disk Copy 4.2 images
- Hebrew localization and keyboard layout (Gil Osher)
- British keyboard layout
- Minor interface changes
- Create and delete disk images
- Plays sound when disks are ejected
- Trackpad mode
- Application icons in disk list
- Mac screen in icon when suspended
- Sound emulation
- Allow uppercase disk extensions
- Close Settings View after Interrupt/Reset
- Finds keyboard layouts in (~)/Library/MacOSClassic
- Shows version in Settings View
- Faster and more accurate Video
- Hard Disk Icon
- Fixed Clock emulation
- Fixed keyboard layout changing bug
- Spanish Localization
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA